Not eating meat for breakfast
wasn’t a big deal since I normally get coffee and a pastry of some sort. When I
hit lunchtime on Day One, I was craving a roast beef sandwich piled high and
topped off with mustard and lettuce. Then I remembered, today is the day I
become a vegetarian. Since it was around 3pm and I hadn’t eaten anything since
around 9:30am, I was too starved to think about my options. I ordered a caprese
panini from the sandwich line, and then after it was heated to perfection, I
took it back to my dorm room to eat with some carrots and red bell pepper
hummus. Now I know that my caprese sandwich had tons of mozzarella cheese on
it, but hey, it was the only thing I knew I liked and was vegetarian at the
same time. In my book, I was killing two birds with one stone. On the other
hand, dinner was more of a struggle. I was hoping the dinner special would be
something fantastic, but a falafel gyro did not sound that exciting, and I had
no idea what falafel was. I later googled it, and according to Wikipedia.com,
it is made from ground up chickpeas, and/or fava beans (I love chickpeas, which
makes me sad I didn’t get the gyro). I decided to make my own vegetable stir
fry with tofu over brown rice. It was…decent. However, I wasn’t a fan of how
large the chunks of tofu were. I could feel the mushy texture with every bite.
I later had a snack of wheat thins with goat cheese to fill me up. All in all,
despite finding out I had strep, day one was successful.
Luckily, the rest of week one went
by without too much of a hitch. In Benson (my school’s dining area) on
Wednesday, the special was succulent prime rib, with steamed vegetables and a
baked potato. I started salivating at the tempting thought of biting into the
moist, slightly pink flesh. Instead I ordered this:
The vegetarian special substituted the prime rib for
vegetarian chili, and it was the best meal I've had so far. Thursday morning I
had an omelet, which I normally get with veggies, ham and cheese. Who would
have thought that the loss of ham would be so noticeable? The salty taste was
absent from my palate, and I was not nearly as satisfied as I wanted to be. That
same night I went to Pizza My Heart and had a delicious slice of vegetarian
pizza. I risked the consequences of eating dairy because I was craving
something familiar. The experience of trying foods I have never considered
before is enticing, but exhausting. Soy meat is the ‘exotic’ food I want to
attempt to eat before this project is over. I didn’t think I would be craving
meat as much as I am. Whenever I’m itching to give in to my temptations, I
imagine the faces of all the cute animals I am no longer eating. It helps a
little bit. So far, so good.
Now,
my lovely readers, you might be wondering how this was all making me feel.
Despite having strep, this week was one of the best weeks I’ve had in a while. I
don’t know if it’s because I’m no longer subconsciously guilty about eating
fuzzy animals, or if I’m just having a good week. Whatever it is, I feel
amazing. I haven’t made it to the gym this week, so I don’t know how my being
vegetarian is going to affect my workouts. My overall mood and energy levels
this week have been better than usual, and I’m excited to see if this feeling
stays consistent.
When
I came up with the plan to become a vegetarian I thought it would a piece of
cake. My first week was pretty hellish. With every passing day, my respect for vegetarians
grows. Controlling my urges is not as easy as I anticipated, every time my eyes
land on a piece of meat, especially red meat, I cannot get my mind off of it.
It makes my meals less enjoyable because I keep focusing on what I can’t have
instead of enjoying all of the yummy things I can have. I knew this week would
be the hardest, and that it will get easier with every passing day. I’m
optimistic that I can stick it out for the entirety. Keep your eyes peeled for
my post on soy meat, I’m sure it will be interesting to say the least.
Works Cited
“Falafel.” Wikipedia.org.
Wikimedia Foundation, 24 Apr. 2013. Web. 24 April 2013.
Lauren -
ReplyDeleteI applaud you for being a vegetarian, I know that I could never do it! I think I'm too picky to enjoy any of the alternatives and substitutes. I like your honesty in this post, and the creative title as well. It's very relatable reading about your struggles to resist meat, but I'm very proud that you have completed your first week without cheating. Keep up the great work!
Erin
Lauren-I found your post really fun to read as well as interesting. Like Erin above, I could never become vegetarian and I certainly couldn't think of any substitutes I could eat in the place of all the missing nutrition. However, it is obvious from you post you are really dedicated to your project and actively working to both eat vegetarian and be full and healthy. I hope the next week goes well too and I can't wait to read your next post. Good luck with everything!
ReplyDeleteLauren- I can relate to your post in that going vegetarian made me respect vegetarians so much more. It is very difficult to find enough food to get full, especially for someone like me. It is especially impressive that you quit for ethical reasons. I think you can certainly attribute feeling better to knowing you are being more ethical and not directly supporting animal cruelty. Good work
ReplyDelete-Vik
Lauren
ReplyDeleteI enjoy your story-esque style of your blog post. As a reader, following the events that happened throughout your week as a vegetarian made the post interesting and engaging. I also thought that the image your provided was a great visual aid. Being a vegetarian is something I don't think I could ever do, so I appreciate your honesty in how you reacted to the changes in your life.
Lauren,
ReplyDeleteI really commend you for becoming vegetarian because being someone who loves a good turkey sandwich, I don't know if i could do it! I really liked how you walked us through each of your meals and what you ate for each, even adding a picture. Your project sounds great and i cant wait to read more about your experiences!